Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Game A Week

My attention span needs work. I have a tendency to get excited about a BIG IDEA, start prototyping and blogging, and then losing steam a few weeks later when I get excited about THE NEXT BIG IDEA.

To solve this problem I've decided to never spend more than a week making a game!

Okay, that's not really the solution to my short attention span. And it's not really the plan for the rest of my life. But at this stage in my game development career, the two most important things for me to do are 1) get experience making games, and 2) build a portfolio of finished* projects to show prospective employers, teammates, and my legion of devoted fans.

Given those goals, short, scrappy projects with simple mechanics and minimal assets make a lot of sense. So, for the next few months, I'm going to try to complete and release a game every week. They won't be polished or play-tested, and I'm not even particularly concerned if they're good. My only criteria are that the game be feature-complete, and any game-breaking bugs are sorted.

To prove I'm mean business, I've already finished the first week's game! You can read the write-up of it over here. All the games will get a write-up, detailing the development process, what worked and what didn't, and what I learned (if anything!).

So stay tuned for weekly-ish games! The first one actually took eleven days, so I'm okay if subsequent games take a little longer too.

One last thing: if you have any interest in developing games, or doing anything creative, really, join me! Finish a new project every week - a song, a story, a game, a painting. Tell me about it on Facebook or Twitter so we can spread the word!

When #AGameAWeek becomes the top trend on Twitter, I won't even say I told you so.

*more or less

No comments:

Post a Comment