Sunday, February 8, 2015

What's This (Dev?) Blog About?

I've never had a blog before! And I'm not really sure exactly what this one will be about. I know for a fact that it will contain words. Maybe some pictures. If I'm feeling really ambitious, a video or two.

There will be (semi-)frequent updates about a game I'm developing with my brother. And probably some thoughts on games and gaming in general. And books. And music.

But I'm gonna go ahead and call it a dev blog. That sounds important and makes me feel like a real game developer!


So, without further ado, the game: It will be strategy game, there will be physics and stealth and customizable units. It will be a game about careful conservation of resources and precise, tense action.

This is probably a good place for a disclaimer: I've never developed a game before. I'm still learning how to use all the tools - specifically, Unity (the free version for now) and Blender, a free and excellent modeling software.

Here's me beginning to model a test character:


This will be a very basic model - I'm planning to use it to test out the core mechanics of the game and make sure I write scripts that actually do what they're supposed to. The actual game art will be done by my very talented brother Justin, and will be far more fetching than anything I could come up with.

Stay tuned for more updates! I'm going to try for a post every week, but if I get excited there may be more than that.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading (and seeing) more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing interesting material.
    I will monitor your new articles regularly as well as do data room providers comparison.

    ReplyDelete